Due to the federal government shutdown, the E-Verify system is unavailable. All NC employers with 25+ employees must use the E-verify system.
Here is what you need to know in a nutshell:
- The “3-day rule” for creating E-Verify cases is suspended
- The time period during which employees may resolve TNCs is extended
- Employers may not take adverse action against an employee because the E-Verify case is in an interim case status
- Once the shutdown is over, you will need to enter all employees that were hired during this period
- Form I-9s must continue to be completed as usual – they are not suspended